Reiki therapy is a Japanese technique for stress reduction and relaxation that also promotes healing. Reiki involves the transfer of energy from practitioner to patient and enhances the body’s natural ability to heal itself through the balancing of energy.
Spiritually Guided Life Force
Reiki practitioners transmit energy through their hands. Reiki therapy is based on the idea that life force energy flows through us. The word Reiki is made up of two Japanese words: Rei, which means universal higher intelligence or transcendental spirit; and Ki, which means life force energy. Reiki literally defined means spiritually guided life force energy.
Energy Centers and Pathways
Although Reiki is hands-on, unlike massage, it is administered with a light touch. While the patient is seated or lying down and fully clothed, the practitioner’s hands are placed along energy centers and pathways on the head, neck, shoulders and upper chest, abdomen, legs, and feet. As energy is transferred feelings of warmth, coolness, gentle tingling, or just deep relaxation may be experienced.
Benefits of Reiki Therapy
Reiki therapy creates extremely beneficial effects, and works in conjunction with medical or therapeutic techniques to promote recovery.
Reiki energy has several benefits:
- Deep relaxation
- Destroys perceived energy blockages
- Detoxify the system
- Provides new vitality in the form of healing energy
- Increases the vibrational frequency of the body
- Creates deep relaxation and helps release stress and tension
- Accelerates the body’s natural self-healing abilities
- Facilitates better sleep
- Reduces blood pressure
- Helps relieve pain
- Removes energy blockages, adjusts the energy flow of the endocrine system bringing the body into balance and harmony
- Assists the body in cleaning itself from toxins
- Reduces some of the side effects of drugs and helps the body to recover from drug therapy after surgery and chemotherapy
- Supports the immune system