Finding peace and joy from within
Typical holiday messages suggest we should be filled with gladness and good cheer. Tidings of Joy. Peace on Earth. Happy New Year. Despite holiday buzzwords and societal expectations of how this time of year should look, not everyone feels so merry and bright.
From financial woes and high hopes, to shorter days and overwhelming to-do lists, this time of year can result in depression and anxiety. If you are battling the holiday blues, there are steps that you can take not only to endure the season, but enjoy the season as well.
- Take a Stroll – It’s no secret that walking is good for one’s health, but taking a 10-minute stroll three times a day is therapeutic, too. Just a few brief doses of sunlight throughout the day can lift your mood dramatically, especially during the winter months.
- Play with a Furry Friend – Whether you own a pet, borrow a friend’s pet, or volunteer at a local animal shelter, we encourage you to enjoy a few minutes of pet-friendly playtime each day. These lovable companions serve as great reminders to stay in the moment.
- Book a Therapeutic Massage – Sierra Tucson strongly believes in the power of integrative treatment for recovery from mental health conditions. Try to make massage a priority. Studies have shown that human touch not only eases aches and pains, but helps to relieve depression and anxiety as well.
- Schedule a Coffee Date – At Sierra Tucson, we encourage residents to surround themselves with positive people, places, and things. Regular social contact with loved ones is a surefire way to boost your mood and share a few laughs.
- Strive for Balance – Often, the holidays are jam-packed with parties and obligations. Staying balanced with one’s time is essential in recovery. Remember that resting the body is an excellent way to practice self-love.
For more information on Sierra Tucson’s Mood & Anxiety Program, call our Admissions Coordinators today at (800) 842-4487.
Michelle Chacon, RN, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Coordinator for Sierra Tucson, discusses common reasons for holiday depression, as well as healthy coping strategies. Watch now.
Learn more about how TMS Therapy is an effective alternative for depression treatment.