Protecting one’s sobriety during the hectic holiday season
For individuals who are in recovery from drug and alcohol addiction, the holidays can be a tumultuous time when the stakes are high and their guard is low. Often, celebrations create high-risk situations and avoiding relapse triggers may be a challenge.
Fortunately, there are ways to protect one’s greatest gift: sobriety. At Sierra Tucson, we understand the stress and anxiety associated with the season. We encourage patients and alumni of our Addictions/Co-Occurring Disorders Program to establish healthy boundaries with acquaintances and loved ones alike.
Are you — or your client — struggling to maintain your sobriety? Here are some ways in which you can prepare for this stressful time of year.
- Avoid Risky Situations – If you know ahead of time that the holiday office party will be held at a swanky bar downtown, it might be best to forgo the event altogether. If attendance is mandatory, discuss an appropriate exit strategy with someone you trust.
- Just Say No – Emotions are at an all-time high during the holidays. If you feel overwhelmed with obligations and endless to-do lists, remember that “no” is a complete sentence.
- Take Care of Self – Chronic busyness can be detrimental for the person who is in recovery. We encourage you to set aside daily quiet time for reflection, meditation, and relaxation. Proper nutrition, physical activity, and adequate sleep are equally important.
- Help Others – There is a fine line between taking care of oneself and focusing on others. It’s important to find the balance. Practicing loving-kindness toward others, with gratitude, offers spiritual fulfillment.
- Lean On Support – A support network is vital for long-term sobriety. Make sure you are communicating with at least one friend in recovery each day. Ask for help when help is needed.
If you — or your client — are in need of residential treatment for alcohol and/or drug addiction, we are here to help. Call (800) 842-4487 — our Admissions Coordinators are available 24/7.
Sierra Tucson Addictions/Co-Occurring Disorders Program
Sierra Tucson’s reputation as a leading drug and alcohol treatment center stems from the clinical excellence and compassionate care that we provide. Our holistic approach respects the dignity of each individual, while offering a therapeutic environment that is fully conducive to the healing of mind, body, and spirit. A multidisciplinary team delivers treatment that is research-informed and supported by evidence-based practices and integrative therapies. Patients benefit from our wide range of services that address the addiction and simultaneously treat co-occurring conditions.