Another year comes to a close, but for those struggling with chronic pain, there may be little hope for a Happy New Year. If your only wish for 2016 is to find relief from suffering, take heart: a holistic approach can help alleviate chronic pain.
Sierra Tucson understands the mental anguish and isolation that accompany prolonged pain. We encourage patients and alumni of our Complex Pain Program to practice a program of recovery daily.
No one should experience continuous suffering. The start of a new year marks the beginning of change. If you – or your client – are struggling with chronic pain, here are some healthy techniques for pain management. There is HOPE.
- Deep Breathing – Setting aside time every day to meditate and relax is one of the most effective ways for reducing tension and pain. Remember to focus on your breath; when a distracting thought comes to mind, gently acknowledge it and then let it go.
- Movement Therapy – When pain seems unbearable, get up and move. Moderate exercises like walking, stretching, and yoga can improve balance and flexibility, as well as mood.
- Support Groups – There is strength in numbers. When you are surrounded by others who can “share the pain” and help lift the burden, negative thoughts are replaced with a healthier, more positive attitude.
- Integrative Treatment – Sierra Tucson believes an integrative approach heals mind, body, and spirit. Complementary therapies like acupuncture, biofeedback, Somatic Experiencing®, and massage therapy enhance a person’s recovery experience.
- Stress Management – Stress not only aggravates pain, but also leads to other conditions such as depression, anxiety, and even substance abuse. Reduce stress through journaling, listening to soothing music, delegating responsibilities, and anything else that results in self-care.
If you – or your client – are in need of comprehensive treatment for chronic pain, call Sierra Tucson’s Admissions Coordinators today at (800) 842-4487 or visit SierraTucson.com.
For individuals who are living with chronic pain, Sierra Tucson’s Complex Pain Program uses an innovative and comprehensive mind-body-spirit approach to treatment. Patients receive both medical and psychological interventions that are designed to help diminish pain and increase functionality over time. Additionally, various proven therapeutic modalities are utilized to help target the patient’s underlying cause of pain, so that he or she can receive the most comprehensive treatment available. This integrated method helps to foster self-awareness and teaches appropriate and effective skills for sustaining quality of life.